Sunday, April 17, 2011

Time is an Illusion

I am sitting outside at the picnic table on the patio.  To my left I have a group of annoyingly loud chickens, roosters, ducks, and an old grumpy gander.  It is a beautiful day, though I fear I have probably not used it to the best of my abilities.  I did manage to finish my book though, an impressive feat considering I just started the 600 page novel yesterday.  I have been told I read rather quickly, it just never really occurred to me that there were people that didn’t read that fast.  Hmm, I will have to take that into consideration in the future, I don’t want to be seen as bragging about finishing things so quickly…  Anyways, I am going to be home in eleven short days and I cannot believe that time has passed by so quickly!  Sometimes it seems as though it was only yesterday that I stepped off the plane in Dublin.  But then I think about all that has happened, the good and the bad, and I realize how silly that is.  I have learned a great number of things on this trip, the majority of which shall be very useful for the rest of my life.  The small things, such as you can never only have one pint of Guinness will not be so important, but nonetheless I learned them J  Oh, and that in Ireland rain is no more noticeable then snow during a northern Michigan winter, everything still continues as planned. 
This weekend has been quiet and very relaxing, exactly what I expect of the weekend.  The past week passed by rather quickly as well.  Monday was spent mainly gardening and planting things.  Tuesday I watered the Polly tunnels and planted some kale among other things.  The Tuesday evening we went out set dancing again, which was an enormous amount of fun!  Wednesday we were all rather tired and spent a good deal of time dragging sticks about.  In the afternoon we took a trip to Kenmare, a nearby town.  After wandering about there for a while and acquiring a book entitled “Feeling Sorry for Celia” we continued on driving around.  We went to a very beautiful stone circle which had a gorgeous view of the surrounding mountains.  In overlooked a lake and on the far side we could see a tall waterfall working its way down the side of a mountain.  Sadly it was a rather misty, foggy day and our view soon become obscured.  It was a soft day though, so the rain was only a mild annoyance.  We followed a winding road up through the mountains and looked out at the spectacular drop off to our right.  With the tops of the mountains shrouded in mist it was exactly like a scene from “The Mists of Avalon”. 
Thursday a local man named “Jack” came with the wood chipper he built himself to chip all of the branches we had been dragging about for the past few days.  We had many more to drag that morning so we took turns hauling branches and then dumping the wheel barrows of chips around.  My personal favorite part of the afternoon involved standing in the goat field chucking branches over the fence.  Then I hopped over the fence and threw the branches down a small hill into a pile on the other side of the road.  Thursday evening was rather uneventful.  Friday I went over to Christine’s friend Linda’s house to WWOOF for her for the day.  It was fun to have a change of scenery and I spent the day helping here with her blueberries, planting, and filling her raised beds with dirt and manure.  Friday evening we had planned to go to a local music festival, but then the mother goat who kidded about a week ago got very sick.  Christine decided to stay and look after her.  We took the news with a good spirit and spent the evening playing hearts and euchre.  Great fun J 
Well, at the moment the sun is out nice and strong.  I think I’ll take advantage of it and lie out and tan for a bit.  That sounds exactly like what I need at the moment.  I can start the second book in my trilogy as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment