Friday, February 25, 2011

Great Craic!!

Craic is an Irish word pronounced "crack" that basically means anything fun.  My friend Nicola loves to say that things are going to be "great craic" or that is was great craic.  This week has been rather exciting and busy.  Sunday night Heidi and I were out far too late at the pub and ended up getting a taxi home with Nicola.  Monday I ended up doing a mild form of child care.  Mike and Julia's friend Trish has an eleven year old daughter named Sarah.  Sarah had hurt her arm last week and was going easy on it.  Then to top it all off she got sick over the weekend.  Trish had to work on Monday do Heidi and I went over to keep an eye on Sarah.  She was a very easy charge which was excellent for Heidi and I in our not so good shape after a late night.  We invited Mike and Julia over to Trish's for dinner along with a few other friends.  It was a great evening.  I fried up some chicken, pineapple, and bananas as part of the meal.  It was a great evening with lots of laughter and good wine and food.

Tuesday Nicola invited Heidi and I to go to Cork with her for the night as it was her friend Ashling's birthday.  We drove out around 7:30 and got there close to 9.  We were staying at Ashling 's apartment/dorm and that's where the beginning of the party was taking place.  It was great craic :)  There were around thirty people at the apartment and we then moved on to one of the best pubs in Cork.  It is called the Baily and has three floors.  It was packed which surprised me as it was only Tuesday night.  There were about fifteen of us who ended up there and had a wonderful time dancing.  Now, I have to say that my choice of shoes became largely annoying at this point.  I was wearing my very adorable three inch stilettos.  And let me tell you, after about four hours in them my feet started to get blisters.  When we finally left the pub I could hardly walk.  I told Nicola I was taking them off and she cried "No, you'll step on a piece of glass and get AIDS!!!"  I laughed and told her I had walked in far worse places barefoot :)  We went to a McDonalds as it was the only place still open and we were all craving fries.  We took a taxi home and six of us crammed into one small dorm room to sleep.  I was sleeping on the floor with three other girls on top of couch cushions.  It was altogether a wonderful experience.

The past few nights and days have been rather uneventful compared to the start of the week.  But that's ok, I have high hopes for this weekend.  It turns out that Ashling, the girl who's birthday it was, lives just down the road from me and it home every weekend.  I am going to see if we can get something together for tomorrow. Right now I am off to bed as it was kind of a crazy day.  Julia threw out her back last night and was in horrible pain today.  The osteopath is out of his office until next week so she's hoping it corrects itself.  Then to top all of the off the computer crashed and Mike was working on that all day.  All in all we made it through, but it was busy.  Luckily our guests that are with us right now are very down to earth and easy going.

Hope everyone at home is doing well.  Just for an itinerary update:  I am at Carbery Cottage until March 14 which is a Monday morning.  Then I am taking the bus to Galway where I will be until Wednesday night or Thursday morning.  Thursday evening, the 17th, I fly to London to stay with my friend Rachel.  And yes, I did realize that I am LEAVING Ireland on St. Patrick's Day, but oh well.  The plane ticket was about $20 cheaper...  I come back to Ireland on March 28.  I go to my next WWOOFing place on April 3 and don't know what I'm doing after I come back from London until then.  And of course, I fly home on April 28.  Ok, now for bed, more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment